Monday, March 9, 2020

This Time It's Personal

Outside of an odd post looking to draw some parallels between Ironman/endurance competitions and leadership I haven't posted much about actual athletic experiences for a good 7+ years now.  

Well I'm back and getting ready for Ironman Canada #3 slated for August 30, 2020.  I made that commitment last year upon hearing that Ironman was returning to Penticton.  That reality gave me a chance to go back and race against my former self with the last, best effort coming in 2011.  When I race this time I'll be 55.  I was age 46 last time around.  Should be an interesting challenge!

This year is different in another way as well.  I'm racing for a cause.  I'm trying to bring hope to those impacted or suffering from a malicious and (currently) incurable childhood cancer - DIPG - Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma.  I'm trying to raise awareness about this disease and it's impact.  I'm trying to raise funds through my efforts for much needed support for children and families impacted by this disease.  As a member of the Cops for Cancer Ironteam (http://www.ironteam.ca/) since 2008, I've helped fundraise for cancer research before and support the amazing legacy that this group of dedicated athletes has already established.

We've all been impacted by cancer in one way or another.  A friend of mine lost his wife to lung cancer.  She left behind a devoted husband and two young children just over a year ago.  Another family member passed away from brain cancer late last year.  Others I know have been impacted by colon cancer, skin cancer and the list goes on.  But in the past year, I watched a family struggle with the diagnosis and the inevitable passing of their son due to DIPG.  While I worked with both parents in my past career I have to admit that I likely never met their son Ronan.  But I feel I got to know him through the efforts of his mother in particular as she documented all that they went through - and continue to go through - to make the most of his last months with them.

While I have experienced substantial personal loss myself - loss of grandparents, parent, and wife - I still can't imagine the impact of losing one of my children.  What I saw with Ronan's journey through living with DIPG was strength and a level of maturity he brought to his life in those last months.  I can only hope to emulate the kind of dignity and strength he showed at age 12 and 13 as the cancer slowly took him from this world.

There is so much to say about Ronan that can't be said in on blog post - so there will be more in the future.  However, you can start to glean a lot about him and his experience by simply searching his name as a starting point on the internet.

On February 12, 2020, on what would have been Ronan's 14th birthday, his mother asked that people remember him and perhaps dedicate some aspect of their day to his memory.  In the throes of getting ready for my Ironman experience I responded that I would dedicate my day's workout in respect of the request.  But the ask got me thinking about what else might be possible.  I started thinking and digging and arrived at a concept of not just dedicating one day or a few hours of effort to this cause but instead considering what it might look like to dedicate my Ironman training and competition to Ronan's memory and to making a more sizeable impact for DIPG awareness and support.

So here goes!  For those who know me well you already have a sense that in the past few years I have been driven by the philosophy of "What if?" and "Why not?"  So let's dream big.  I want to commit this next 6 to 7 months to moving the needle forward on DIPG awareness and support.  I'm dedicating this year's Ironman effort to that end.  And this commitment is not just one of blood, sweat and tears.  I want to raise substantial funds for the cause.  I have reached out and teamed up with the Kids with Cancer Society.  In short order they will be helping me with promotion, fundraising web-page, donation forms, and a lot of advice!  They will be the charity of choice for this effort.

Coincidentally, my 9-year old daughter - who seems to have a decidedly charitable element to her personality - had recently said that she wanted to do some fundraising for cancer research.  She had already formulated her own plan.  I talked to her about Ronan and what I was trying to pursue and why.  She's on board!  From her viewpoint - and prior to knowing about Ronan and DIPG - she had envisioned a fundraising goal of $10,000.

I said "What if?" and "Why not?"... go bigger!

So I'm actually hoping through my efforts, the efforts of family and friends, colleagues, contacts, those who have been impacted by DIPG, and the efforts and commitment of complete strangers that we can in fact target and reach $100,000 as a fundraising goal.


And again I emphasize and repeat this is not just going to be me shedding blood, sweat and tears in service of this cause.  I will put my money where my mouth is.  My wife and I - founders and principals of our own coaching/leadership development company - BreakPoint Solutions (www.breakpoint.solutions) commit to contributing 5% of our monthly billings from March through to the end of August to this cause.  By our own commitment and efforts that should mean attainment of my daughter's fundraising target of $10,000.

But I want more and I hope WE can get there together!

Over the next 6 to 7 months you can expect to get updates through about both my physical and mental readiness for Ironman, lead up races and - most importantly - the fundraising efforts.

I thank you in advance for helping to raise awareness about the insidious disease of DIPG, to providing hope to those children and families who are currently challenged by this cancer, and raising funds to support those challenged by other childhood cancers in partnership with Kids With Cancer Society.

It's About Leadership!  And this time it's personal.  F**K Cancer.
_________________________________________________________

Greg Hadubiak, MHSA, FACHE, CEC, PCC
President & Founder - BreakPoint Solutions
gregh@breakpoint.solutions 
www.breakpoint.solutions 
780-250-2543

Helping leaders realize their strengths and enabling organizations to achieve their potential through the application of my leadership experience and coaching skills. I act as a point of leverage for my clients. I AM their Force Multiplier.




No comments:

Post a Comment