Thursday, August 6, 2020

My Why: Why Human Resources?


When I started my post-secondary education over 25 years ago, faced with choosing a major in a field such as Finance or Marketing or Human Resources Management, I didn’t know why I was drawn to HR Management. All I knew was it was the clear choice.

So why have I continued to dedicate my career to the HR profession? I have asked myself this question many times over the years. And what it comes down to is how the principles of successful HR Management deeply parallel who I am, my values, and how I show up in life.


HR and Me

I am driven by connection. Humans require connection to thrive and to feel like they belong. Through life experiences, I have recognized that being connected to individuals, clients, a worthy cause, or a value-add project feeds my soul.   Organizations must strive to have connection with their employees to motivate them to work towards business goals, and to help them see they’re also connected to working towards something bigger. 

My DNA is rooted in collaboration.  I am a firm believer that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Great things happen when people nurture synergies and work together instead of working in silos.  Organizations that collaborate with HR know the value of being a partner in business and, as a result, can leverage effective human resources to meet common goals.    

I am grounded by the belief of doing the right thing, and by acting with integrity, we set the stage for people’s success. Organizations must act with integrity and stand by a Code of Conduct to cultivate a healthy and productive workforce. 

Trust is the foundation for every relationship and crucial to my purpose. I have learned that without trust, it is difficult to build healthy relationships, move ahead, accomplish tasks or achieve goals – both personally and professionally. Organizations need to create a culture of trust with and among employees to drive results. At its best, with trusted advisors at the centre of HR, employees can feel empowered and valued to make a difference.

I am genuinely interested in people – their stories, their journeys (as everyone has their own path), their goals and progression in life, why they made specific decisions, their mistakes and their successes. With that passion, I have dedicated my career to bringing out the best in people. One area that has helped me to successfully elevate people is putting people first, which is a sign of humility. Humility, or being humble, helps build strong employee relationships and breaks down barriers and egos to reach business goals.  And I believe organizations need humble employees and leaders for people and the business to be successful. 



What have I observed in HR over the last 25 years?

I have seen business practices that work and others that do not work. 

Here is what works:

  • Putting people first. Successful organizations know what matters most to employees. This, in turn, produces business results.  Putting people first means organizations focus on building strong relationships with employees and invest time in actively involving employees in business decisions.  It also means employees believe they have a voice and organizations value their feedback. They believe leaders listen and act on their valued ideas and input. 
  • Giving employees opportunities to grow.  Incredible human potential is realized when organizations allow people to soar! Leaders who empower employees to make decisions, who offer support and mentorship to reach their goals, who are empathetic and provide flexibility to balance life, who are present and listen to their needs, and who go beyond building on strengths, enable employees to believe the sky is the limit and anything is possible. 
  • Organizations embrace performance excellence.  People crave feedback! It truly matters to employees when leaders have ongoing, meaningful dialogue and provide them with feedback. Performance excellence exists when employees know how they’re doing, where they fit, and where their potential may lead.
 
Here is what does not work:

  • When HR does not sit at the leadership table as a valued business partner.  HR is an organization's human resources multiplier. If HR is not viewed as a valued business partner, it will not contribute to increasing human potential and company performance.  
  • When employees do not have a clear line of sight on their role to reach business goals and outcomes. If this happens, organizations will observe low employee performance and productivity, and low employee morale and engagement.  
  • When organizations choose to be “teddy bears” instead of “lions”.  Organizations that do not have the strength and courage to deal with employee issues (teddy bears) run the risk of negatively impacting the company culture, employee morale and potentially losing great talent. Organizations who are prepared to deal with employee issues and make difficult decisions (lions) will reap the benefits in increased employee loyalty, team performance and a more productive workforce. It is essential to leverage HR to navigate sensitive employee issues. 


Why is HR essential to the business?

HR is, first and foremost, a partner to the business. It is a business-critical function that prioritizes people, productivity and performance. It is a trusted advisor, compliance partner, employee advocate and change agent. Collaborating with HR allows organizations to focus on people, which is what matters most to successfully meet business goals. 

What have I learned?

Employees need to:      

  • Feel connected to their roles and to the company;
  • Be valued and rewarded for their contributions;
  • Receive ongoing performance feedback to reach their fullest potential.  

Leaders need to:

  • Be present and 100% accessible to their teams;
  • Involve employees in company decisions and promote two-way feedback;
  • Be transparent and set relevant employee expectations to achieve company goals.

Organizations that know the value of HR, with employees who live by a clear set of values and beliefs, will reach company goals successfully. 

My Why

It is 100% clear to me today why I chose HR as a career path. Every day, with each of my clients, I get to live my values of connection, collaboration, integrity, trust and humility. I get to live my purpose to connect people, leverage human resources and deliver performance. And with the marriage of these parts of who I am to their importance and impact in HR Management, HR and I are a perfect match. 



Driven by connection,
Rita Filice
______________________________

Rita Filice, BCOMM, CPHR
Partner, BreakPoint Solutions
ritaf@breakpoint.solutions 
www.breakpoint.solutions 
780-250-2544

Rita thrives on connecting people, leveraging human resources and delivering performance.  She is a collaborative and accomplished HR leader who values authentic connection, meaningful conversation, and her positive energy and outlook make anything possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment