Sunday, January 12, 2020

Hope is not a Strategy - But it's Still Critical!

Over seven years ago I started down a new path of coaching and consulting.  At that point I was taken under the wing of a seasoned consultant and, along with other colleagues, it was often emphasized that "...hope is not a strategy...".  The assumption or premise behind that admonition was really that hope, or perhaps blind hope, wasn't at all an effective substitute for objective planning and effective action.  If one was going to succeed as a coach/consultant you had better be clear about where you were going and thrust yourself purposefully into the jungle - you eat what you kill!

I've taken that mantra to heart over the past several years and I credit that advice (and a reasonable amount of motivational fear!) with the success I have enjoyed as a coach and consultant - and entrepreneur - to date.  I truly couldn't have imagined how successful the transition from employment to business person was going to be.  And its not to say that there haven't been a whole host of sleepless nights along that path. There definitely have been, particularly in those first couple of years.
What sustained me even when, or particularly when, I didn't know what the next steps should be or what might be around the next corner?  How did I maintain momentum and traction?  Was it hope?  Was it optimism?  How "real" or tangible is this concept of hope as a tool or mechanism to support success?  After all, hope is not a strategy.

The reason that this resonates so strongly as a topic for me builds off a meeting I went to recently.  Essentially it was a meeting for those grieving the loss of a loved one.  I went to the meeting as a trial or as an experiment.  I wasn't sure what to expect of the meeting at the time but as the meeting concluded I realized that what I was looking for more than anything was hope.  Hope that things would get better.  Hope that others going through or having gone through similar experiences would be able to impart some wisdom, tools or techniques that might help me (positively) forward on my journey. Unfortunately I was woefully disappointed.  Instead of hope I heard despair and resignation to one's fate.  It was hardly an uplifting experience.

Aside from my desire to put this particular experience behind me it also rekindled some form of determination to find a better way to cope with my current challenges.  As I said to others after this particular event, I couldn't just see myself giving up or being resigned to some fate that others might suggest might be preordained for me (e.g., destiny).  In this moment and at this time while hope was not a strategy I felt I needed it more than ever.

What strategies and techniques am I drawing upon to build and sustain hope right now?

Clarifying and Affirming What's Most Important to Me - back to basics or square one.  Reconnect with my positive vision of a preferred future.  Where did I plan to be at the end of 2020 and what are the steps have I already laid out for achieving those goals. What's most important?  What still resonates?  What's core?  Simplify and prioritize.  Document the affirmed plan.


Set (realistic) milestones and take action - I know that one of THE keys to sustaining success is realistic milestones that are measurable and allow you to evaluate your actions.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  I have to set realistic milestones that help me progress towards my ultimate goal, allow me to take bite-sized steps and actions, provide the opportunity to enjoy and celebrate success, understand setbacks as small bumps along the path - reset and repeat.  Keep coming back to the power of the preferred vision.

Own my strengths and abilities - I've experienced both success and failure before.  It's likely I will again.  But I am still standing and there are strengths and abilities I have or have developed that have allowed me to move forward.  What hasn't killed me has in fact made me stronger.  Remind yourself of your own strengths and abilities.  They are real!  Don't be unduly modest.  If you are struggling to identify your strengths get input from others.  Document your strengths.  Do some positive self reminding as needed.

Stay connected - one of the easiest ways to despair is to self-isolate or to allow yourself to be isolated.  Success - and maintaining hope - really is the job of a "village".  We all need friends at work or home.  We all need a place to process what is going on for us, to better allow us to see things for what they are and a way forward as necessary.  Or perhaps we just need a place vent from time-to-time.  Our mind is a dangerous neighborhood to go into alone.  Bring a friend, find a friend.  Talk it through.


Anticipate setbacks - history tells all of us that it is rare, if ever a reality, that success comes easy.  There are going to be bumps along the way.  Prepare for those bumps.  This is not about catastrophizing.  We can all be great at thinking at worst case scenarios and then being paralyzed by the dark shadows we make up.  Rather objectively consider what might happen, how significant the impacts might be AND develop tactics in advance to manage the impact on your plans.  

Celebrate - Celebrate the small victories along with the way.  Take time on a daily or weekly basis to give yourself some credit for even the small steps on our personal journey.  It’s hard to sustain energy and effort without some regular boost to your morale.  Be your own cheerleader!  You deserve it!  


Be appropriately selfish - To be our best self we have to take care of our self.  You can’t think clearly or truly be of service to anyone else – family, friends, work – if you are drained.  As you set your goals think about what you need to do for your own mental, physical, emotional and spiritual wellbeing.  You DO control your agenda, your time, your day.  Prioritize yourself first.  If you fail to “sharpen your own knife” it won’t be much use to anyone including yourself.
_________________________________________________________

Greg Hadubiak, MHSA, FACHE, CEC, PCC
President & Founder - BreakPoint Solutions
gregh@breakpoint.solutions 
www.breakpoint.solutions 
780-250-2543

Helping leaders realize their strengths and enabling organizations to achieve their potential through the application of my leadership experience and coaching skills. I act as a point of leverage for my clients. I AM their Force Multiplier.

1 comment: